I wanted to do a relevant post as dietary choices are important for not only our bodies, but our minds too. This is particularly true with regard to anxiety. Some food can exacerbate feelings of stress and anxiety whereas others have been shown to ease these feelings.
TRYPTOPHAN is an amino acid shown to have beneficial effects on feelings of stress. It’s a precursor to SEROTONIN which is involved in feelings of calm, happiness and the reduction of anxiety.
Oats, Bananas, Peanuts and Sesame Seeds are rich natural sources of Tryptophan, and add a balanced amount to your weekly diet. The following recipe combines three of these so enjoy these indulgent tasting breakfast muffins even more knowing they have no flour, no butter and no refined sugar!
Ingredients: (makes 12)
- 2 cups of Oats
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons of peanut butter
- A bar of 72% dark chocolate chopped into tiny chunks (optional but delicious!)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 5 teaspoons of baking powder
- 3 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 2 Walnuts (chopped – optional)
- Preheat the Oven to 180 degrees.
- Set up your papers liners on your muffin tray. This recipe makes about 12.
- Pop your oats into a blender (I used a nutribullet) to grind up the oats into a fine flour.
- Do the same with your 2 bananas.
- Mix together, then add the beaten eggs, yoghurt, honey, peanut butter and all the other ingredients except the chocolate chips. Mix well either with a machine or hand held until it is all very smooth.
- Finally add your chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter into each of the muffin holders and pop them in the oven for 15 minutes. (I sprinked a little chocolate or seeds on top for added prettiness but optional!)
- Let them cool on a wire rack and then enjoy! Perfect for breakfast or an afternoon treat!
This recipe comes from PwPantry.com checkout her site for more great recipes