I thought this would be a daunting recipe as I am not a frequent home fryer, but it’s actually very easy and worth it for a one off deep fried treat! There is no healthy spin on this recipe so just enjoy but don’t fry too often… everything in moderation. The lemony garlic mayonnaise is a must so don’t skip on that either..!
- Vegetable Oil for deep frying
- 500g Squid (cut in to rings)
- 2 Eggs (beaten)
- 250g of Plain Flour
- 1 tsp Paprika
- Sea Salt & Black pepper
- 1/2 tsbp of Cayenne Pepper
- Low Fat Mayonnaise
- 2 whole garlic cloves
- Juice of Half a Lemon
To make the Aioli
- Start with the Aioli: simply mix all the ingredients together and set aside in the fridge to keep it cool.
- For the Crispy Calamari, half fill a large pan or Wok with the vegetable oil and turn on a medium heat. Slowly let it bubble and be SO careful as hot oil is extremely dangerous.
- A good trick for knowing if the oil is at the right temperature is to drop a small bit of bread into it – if it becomes golden and crispy in just 1 minute, its ready to go.
- Whilst the oil is slowly heating, put your flour, cayenne pepper, paprika and sea salt in a big sandwich bag. Mix it all around and then pop bits of the squid in the bag and shake around to coat evenly.
- Beat the eggs and have them in a bowl. Then take each floured squid out and dip into the egg, then carefully drop in to the hot oil, one by one.
- Fry each ring for 3 minutes until golden and crispy. When you take them out pop them on a tea towel to drain off the excess oil.
- Serve with your chilled aioli, wedges of lemon, a sprinkle of chili flakes, and a nice rocket salad.
This recipe comes from PwPantry.com checkout her site for more great recipes